Co-Movement Gym: A is A Health Podcast S1E11 - Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules For Life (Review)
Updated: Aug 16
Below you will find our thoughts on the 12 Rules.
1. Present yourself with good posture, a firm handshake, good eye contact, and confidence. You do not need to be the alpha or number 1 person in every situation, but simply present yourself as a confident individual. You will find that opportunities start to open up for you and eventually you will start to embody confidence simply by incorporating this simple change.
2. Essentially take care of yourself. You need take care of yourself before you can effectively care for others. People generally don’t take care of themselves as well as they should, because they don’t like themselves or respect themselves. You should live virtuously, speak the truth, act responsibly, and work for the common good. The more you do this the more you will respect yourself and ultimately begin to take care of yourself. If you live a moral life, then you will want to take care of yourself.
3. The 5 people that you are closest to in life tend to shape who you are. You should surround yourself with people that you aspire to be and that will support your values/goals. Your friends should genuinely care about you and celebrate you in even your small wins. Have the courage to jump into a new community with people that have values or goals that match your own.
4. Compare yourself to who you were in the past, and always strive to be better than who you were yesterday. Even if you are the best at what you are doing. You should still be pushing to be better, because you should always be progressing. Success doesn’t come from comfort. It come from improving yourself, and promoting growth within your own life. This means stepping out of your comfort zone every once in a while, and taking on new challenges.
5. Be the example for your children that you want them to emulate. Your children will ultimately reflect you. If you dislike something your child is doing, then maybe you should check yourself and see how true you are to those values.
6. Make sure your life is in order before you judge or try to correct others/things in the world. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”- Mahatma Gandhi You shouldn’t blame others or the world for issues/problems if you are not going to actively try and fix it.
7. You should try to achieve what matters most to you not only what you want. Your wants will continue to change. You will never be satisfied if that is all you pursue. If you focus on your needs and make sure all of those are satisfied, then you will have a happier and simpler life and ultimately be more satisfied.
8. Always be honest or at least do not deliberately try to deceive people. This is much harder than it seems. If you need to lie in order to have people like you, then maybe you should take a step back and evaluate why you are surrounding yourself with these kinds of people. People should like you for who you are…not who you are pretending to be. Also, if you lie you are constantly under stress that you will eventually be found out. It is much better to be honest with everyone including yourself, and you will feel a huge weight come off of your shoulders.
9. Assume you are not the smartest person in the room. It is better to go into a conversation and actively listen to the other person, because you may not know more than them. You could honestly stand to learn something from just about anyone in this world, because everyone’s experiences are different. It is better to listen to someone than it is to talk over someone. It is better to seek out differing opinions. If all you do is listen to people that agree with you, then you will never fully understand the entire picture of whatever the topic might be. Only listening to the same opinion over and over can cause you to be trapped in a single way of thinking, and not even considering the other perspective as valid. You should strive to be a listener and open to the idea that what you believe is not in fact correct. This willingness to listen and open yourself up to new ideas will ultimately be what causes you to grow and become better.
10. Make sure you talk with a purpose. Whenever you speak, make sure it is clear and your audience understands what you are talking about. Make sure you have a clear understanding of what you say and what you mean before talking.
11. You should let people take risks, and this includes yourself. Just because you think something is risky doesn’t mean you should stop others from trying. Likewise, you should not let others prevent you from taking a calculated risk. A lot of the time it’s the risks we take that make us who we are and allows us to grow. If you are never allowed to experience these risks or challenges, then you will ultimately skip/pass on opportunities in the future that might be beneficial.
12. Live in the present moment and enjoy the beauty that is in front of you. We tend to focus on ourselves too much, and think that every issue in our life is the biggest issue in the world. Sometimes petting that cat (from the rule) can bring you back into the present moment.